Friday, March 8, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day

I am making some St. Patrick's Day party favors for the Pre-School class.  When making a bunch, MDS is PERFECT!  I could make these cuties with paper and punches, but I want to make 18, so I thought Digital Punches!  YEA!  MDS to the rescue!  
These are the punches that I used.  Half Circle (top of the hat in lucky limeade), Square (resized to small rectangle for hat band in black and slightly larger for the hat brim in lucky limeade) Flower (resized small for the hat decoration in Crushed curry), Wide Oval (for the head in blush blossom), Scalloped Oval (in dusty durango), Five petal flower (cropped for the mustache), Small circle (blush blossom nose), Owl Eyes for the eyes. I like to use the owl eyes because they are already lined up and you can layer the pupils and then resize the group nice and easy.


Here is how I cropped the mustache.  Click on the five petal flower to highlight it, then select the crop button.
 
 
Your flower will appear in a box like this.  You could just drag the crop line over the petals to highlight the area you want, but that made a straight line at the top of the mustasche, and I wanted it curved, so I decided to crop with a shape.  I clicked the "Crop Shape" Button.





When you click "crop shape" your punches will appear.  I chose the Half Circle punch.  If you don't have that one, you could look for other similar shapes. 
The half circle shows up on your flower and you just move it around until the highlighted area is just where you want it.
 
See, now my flower is a mustache!
I then put my little leprechaun together and grouped all the pieces.  I then copied and pasted two more so that there were three on the to of the page.  I then grouped the three together.
The reason I did this is so that I could now just copy and paste a few more groups and not have to do it 18 times, just a few. 







And here they all are!  I then punched them out and added them to a scallop of Lucky Limeade.  I attached them to a bag of gold coin chocolates and added a tag that says Happy St. Patrick's Day from the Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set. 
I hope you like my project! Why not try some digital punch art yourself?  Email it to me and I will feature it on the blog! 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I just subscribed to your blog. I love the leprechauns! I really like the way you provided a tutorial , I have MDS but rarely use it as I get so frustrated. I am sure this will help!

    ReplyDelete